Thursday, May 26, 2016

Review: Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I need to process this before I share my thoughts ... But STELLAR!

UPDATE

I think I am finally able to process my thoughts on this book, and OMG I just... YES!!!!!!!!



I tried to read this book twice before. I honestly thought that I was going to give up on the hope that I would ever be able to read Throne of Glass because every time I picked it up something else would distract me. I don't just mean other books - I mean EVERYTHING! I always imagine that good story telling will pull me in from the very first page, and generally it does. This is not a weak story, it is not weak prose, but it didn't quite hook me right off the start the other two times I tried to read it. I don't know why, maybe it was that I hadn't experienced the beauty that is Sarah J. Maas's world building and character development, that is, until I finished reading A Court of Mist and Fury in all its glory and wondered how I was to survive without more of her glorious words for the next year waiting on the next instalment. It solidified the need in me to know the tale that would be spread before me here, and I am so very glad that it did!

Give me real men to fight. Then maybe I'll bother trying.


Celaena Sardothien is FIERCE and in control. Even when she was a prisoner in Endovier's salt mines she was in control, or as in control as she could possibly be. Who hasn't wanted a strong, fierce female assassin? Who hasn't wanted Cinderella to be something more than the belle of the ball? Celaena is both the beauty and the beast within. She is more regal and graceful and more lovely than any true high bred lady. She is also more dangerous and deadly than a viper. I am taken with the Celaena - I can't even describe how much I adore her strength and determination. She has her eyes on the prize - freedom - and yet she has time to entertain not only one potential love interest (who is the Crown Prince of Adarlan no less!!!!) but two!

Her doorknob clicked and her heart leapt into her throat. Was it time to finally sign her contract with the king? But it wasn't Dorian or Nehemia, not even a page. The world stopped when Chaol entered instead.


I don't honestly know who I want to see her with more! I felt the attraction to Chaol more than that to Dorian throughout the story, but I felt the pull of the love triangle and it is a heavenly triangle. Somehow, I think that it is not at all so neatly resolved as it appears by the end of the text. I'm relieved that Celaena seemed to feel this too.

I'm ready to find out just how she's going to fulfill the need of healing the people of the world, saving them like Elena told her she would. I know that Celaena is destined for great things and when I get finished devouring The Raven Cycle, I will continue along with her tales until I'm as caught up as all the rest of you!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment