Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: Girls Night

Girls Night Girls Night by Stef Ann Holm
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received my copy of this eBook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Girls Night was a decent distraction, fairly quick and honestly predictable yet sweet at the same time.

Jillene McDermott is a young widow with two precocious matchmaking preteen daughters, a faithful dog, and the proud owner of her late husband's floundering coffee shop and a mountain of debt. Vince Tremonti is a True Crime Author who's come home to escape the feelings of guilt that are plaguing him about his current tale. How they come together - first by chance and then an impromptu dinner by the matchmaking daughters - was sweet, yet predictable in this Small Town Romance all about (like the series titles) a second chance. This, to me as a single mom, sounded like it was going to be a great read! I can't relate to the widow aspect, but I can relate to a mom who has to try to find a way to make ends meet sometimes eating PB&J as a staple and definitely trying to stretch every last penny. Unfortunately, I just couldn't relate to her children...



Can you tell me what preteen wants to share a bath? With their mother or otherwise? Cause I don't know of any. In fact, that was the age where I remember becoming more and more secretive and less willing to share anything myself. They all at once seemed too old and too young to be whom Stef Ann Holm was trying to portray them to be.

Actually everyone in this novel was kind of conflicting to me - they just didn't fit their ages, but then, I also had to take in to account that there was a lot going (romance wise) with the subplot of Al Tremonti (Vince's father) and Ianella Sofrone. Sometimes I think you could almost pick father for son and change the names and their impressions on life and the world around them would have been similar. I think this also comes from the year in the book. - 2002. Every pop culture reference was hugely dated! I think that was part of the downfall to the test of time for it.



Too much going on, too dated, characters whose behaviours were incongruous to their ages... I really wanted to love this, but the tale wound up being mediocre. The blurb in the back for the next in the series felt a little better, maybe I will check that one out and see if the characterization is improved. I'm not giving up on the author - I'm pretty sure I've read something else of her's and enjoyed it, this one just didn't hit the mark for me.

3 stars for a quick distraction that was cute regardless of its flaws.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment