Sunday, June 4, 2017

Review: Someday, Someday, Maybe

Someday, Someday, Maybe Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Le sigh.



As a fan of Lauren Graham the actress, I’m afraid I had a very hard time separating the voice of narration (Franny Banks) from Lauren Graham the author. When I could do that – and believe me it took more than one time through this one – I could appreciate the writing better.

If you have never seen Gilmore Girls, Parenthood or anything that had even a second of Lauren’s wonderful comedic timing and beautiful smile, you probably would fare better reading Someday, Someday, Maybe. And then if you haven’t seen any of these things I would ask you what rock you have been living under for the past twenty years because WTF?!??!!!! How do you NOT know her????



Someday, Someday, Maybe is the story of Franny Banks and her determination to become an actress. The occasional sarcasm and biting wit is why I needed to read this more than once. I heard Lauren Graham the actress and an amalgamation of her many characters when I read it. This was the kiss of death for me – but the second time through, I learned to appreciate it. Franny’s story follows a predictable plot trajectory – and it doesn’t really deviate. She is truly the main focus of the story and even the LI doesn’t have much presence. This isn’t a love story, it’s a slice of life story that sort of has romance, but an unfulfilled romantic angle.

The writing is good - there's room to expand and grow (doesn't everyone have that????) but this was a solid first attempt. I really would love to see more, but I'd also like to see her explore romantic relationships and stories. I think Lauren could give create quirky, humourous romances and that would be the best thing. Who wants a romance to be totally wonderful and perfect? There should be awkwardness and laughter - that's what I want out of a good romance!

Three stars is not a bad rating, I did like Someday, Someday, Maybe, but I couldn’t separate Lauren the actor from Lauren the author and that is my fault, not hers. Bring us more Lauren, we know you can!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment