Sunday, May 14, 2017

Review: Lalibela's Wise Man

Lalibela's Wise Man Lalibela's Wise Man by Matshona Dhliwayo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided a PDF of this book freely by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Matshona Dhliwayo clicked on the button to add me as a friend one day, and I always love adding more people to my reading circles and had no clue that Matshona Dhliwayo had written anything! I’m glad I had the chance to read this lovely novella that inspired some deep thinking from me. It did, and did not, surprise me in that fact as Matshona always shares some beautiful and thought provoking quotes on Goodreads.

I didn’t quite know what I was going to be stepping into with this one when I first opened Lalibela's Wise Man. I wanted to read it at least a couple of times to make sure that I was going to offer a clear and concise opinion here for anyone interested. I certainly made enough notes that I should have something to offer all of you, though I’m going to keep it brief otherwise I think I could ramble on longer than the length of the novella! Lalibela's Wise Man is a brief read (hence, novella) and can easily be read in one sitting, but with deeper meanings that will stay with you much longer than you expect them to.



Christian’s story is a study in self-exploration and positivity, that being a force that is lacking in our current world. Christian’s exploration and discovery also hold a more inspirational message. I know, I know, that rings as something that is a bit foreign for me but I must tell you that regardless of faith (or lack of faith as the case may be) there was never any doubt that biblical standards have always held something valuable for the world to learn. At least, not in my mind…
This is a story that teaches the value of happiness and the power of money. Money can’t the truly important things in life, something that Christian comes to truly understand. I loved the idea that he was searching his soul, searching for the true meaning of why his father had sent him on the journey to Ethiopia, left him without anything though he was the favoured son. This is a voyage of discovery, a study into what truly makes a person of character with a rich, full life.

And that ending?



Three stars from me – I liked this a lot, that said there were places and things that could have been better fleshed out. I think this could have been an even deeper, more thought provoking story if there had been more to it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment