Sunday, December 25, 2016

Review: Shadows of the Forest

Shadows of the Forest Shadows of the Forest by Emma Michaels
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received my copy of this eBook in exchange for a fair and honest review.



What the hell did I just read???? This one was weird - Once I got to the end and then had all parts of the story, I could see what I was missing but this one was... Well, it was weird and felt very disjointed. That may have been the intention behind the author's writing style - it just felt like everything lost steam as the story started rolling along.

Kaede, Willow and Usagi - Great use of mythological ideals here. It was beautiful symbolism, however, it felt rushed. There was no real obstacle to getting Usagi back with her family in the land of the living. There was never a doubt that Lily would not do anything to save Cole. I think this was part of the problem.

The relationships were just too perfect - there wasn't enough conflict nor did the stakes raise very high until the very last moment when she had to convince them to get out of the forest. That's not to say that someone wouldn't enjoy the read, but you have to be looking for something uncomplicated and a little weird to really be able to appreciate this one.

I gave this three stars for the idea of a spirit world. I think this story really could have been something if it wasn't so condensed. I think more detail and raising the stakes would make it even harder to put down and make it even easier to love.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment