Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Review: O'er The River Liffey

O'er The River Liffey O'er The River Liffey by Heidi Ashworth
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received my copy of this ebook in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I was a sucker for this one the moment I saw that it was part of the Power of the Matchmaker series, unfortunately I am not a Historical Romance gal typically so this one was actually fairly difficult for me to get into. This is on me, not on the author! Hey, it's ranked pretty high for a historical romance too - and that's because it was very good based on my limited historical romance reading experience.

Heidi Ashworth has done a lovely job of penning the tale of Caroline Fulton and Niall Doherty and how they are destined to meet on the metal footbridge over the river in Dublin. Caroline wants to marry for love, not just to guarantee that her dowry goes to the suitor with a title of her father's choosing. Niall wants only someone to love and be happy with, for the rest of his days, but fears he has nothing to offer since the disgrace of his father's loss of the family fortunes at a game of cards. How the tutor and the heiress come together is a lovely tale of a bygone era where women had no choice and were obligated to do as their patriarchs deemed fit.

I have to admit that I was saddened at the lack of Miss Pearl, the matchmaker, in this story. I would have liked to see more of her. This was the main reason that you're seeing a four star rating here. I would have liked more of Miss Pearl, although I understand there may not have been a lot she could have done in such a historical romance.

The writing felt in period for the story, nothing that was too modern or that felt out of place. All in all, this is a sweet, clean, wholesome historical romance. Two thumbs up!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment