Saturday, August 17, 2019

Review: Falling for His Friend

Falling for His Friend Falling for His Friend by Jamie June
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a new to me author - I'm coming in at book four of a series people and that's maybe not the best idea I have ever had when in comparison to this one because I felt like I was missing something. So my rating is a 4 star - I want to give it more and I reserve the right to come back to this after I've read the first books in the series and revise it.



Falling for His Friend is the fourth book in Jamie June's Soldier's Support Group series and it's the story of Nicholas, a seemingly straight man who’s going through a wicked divorce from a crazy ex, and Jaren, an out and proud man who is probably the sweetest thing I've ever read, and how they stumble past the line of friendship to the realization that they are meant to be together. Definitely friends to lovers (which I love) and a GFY/OFY story here, and while I loved the story and the writing and the story, there is a little something lacking in the secondary character relationships if you haven't read the other books in the series. I know it made me want to read the others to see how they got to the opening chapter's wedding and how their friendships developed - and their relationships.



And considering what Nicholas is going through, can you imagine starting the chapter being a guest at a wedding while you're in the middle of something cruel and heartbreaking like he was? I turned down numerous wedding invites to some of my closest friends when I was in the middle of my divorce, so I understood that deep loneliness that Nicholas was feeling.

It was a slow, steady, unpleasant cycle: feel bad for yourself that you're alone, get mad at yourself for being jealous, feel bad because you're jealous, rinse, repeat.


How many times did I do the same? His feelings of failure and moments where utter worthlessness crept into his soul really struck a chord with me. I know I went through that cycle every time someone posted something slightly happy on social media with their significant other, why would being present at a wedding be any different?

Normally, I would give you my favourite lines and they'd be hilarious - these ones made me feel as well as some of them making me laugh…

Favourite Lines -

"Champagne's the kind if drink I feel like I can drink alone," I told him catching his attention again. I leaned in just a little, to keep the conversation between friends. "It's not everyday like beer is or as hard as, say, and sophisticated in a kind of Audrey-Hepburn-living-alone-in-the-city way."

He snorted but didn't smile outright. "Jaren, that's literally the gayest thing I've ever heard."




I nudged him again, getting just a bit closer.

"It's not weird to be, like… you know."

Okay, maybe not my finest speech.




He was always handsome, always sweet, always there.

It's always the friends, in all the romcoms. It's always the one right in front of you./blockquote>



In a feat only achieved by intense need and lust, I managed to open my front door with my back to it and without looking at the lock. That's skill right there.




Lingering Questions -

1) What the hell came before this one?!?! I need the other books to know the backstories --
ASAP!
2) I wanna see what's happening with Ian!!!! How long are we waiting?????



Pick this one up and give it chance while I go back and read all about the side characters - you don’t really need to have read the rest, but I felt like I was missing something so I think this should probably be read in order.



One-click this baby today!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment