Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Review: Damage

Damage Damage by Mia Monroe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ohhhhhhh, how do I explain how much I love this story!!!

“Let’s go back in time to three years ago when I begged you to stay. Or how about when I begged you to let me come. You told me you didn’t want to be in my way. Well, Seppe, you’re in my way now. Go on with your life and leave me out of it. You’re good at that.”


Welcome to the second book from an author who’s becoming one of my autobuys - Damage: A Love in the City Novel is another fantastic read from Mia Monroe and she had me hooked from the first line! The promise of a second chance romance (yes, I love these too!!!) between a chef and a teacher/aspiring author was too strong for me to resist.

I loved the introduction to Nolan Brooks and the town of Beacon at the end of Deviate: A Love in the City Novel. You don’t need to have read it to enjoy Damage but JPK does make an appearance and his lovely other half Quinn is mentioned. I’m guessing this is a series of standalones set in a singular universe - Mia, please correct me if I’m wrong! I’m loving the town and the residents we’ve met so far, so I’m anticipating a fabulous series of stories that prove the only thing that matters is love and that love always wins. It definitely wins when the universe conspires against you!



Nolan Brooks was crushed when Seppe Stilo pushed him aside and took off to teach in Italy for a year. It was a dream chance, he would have never asked him to turn it down - he would have followed Seppe anywhere because he loved him that much. Unbeknownst to Seppe, and Nolan, he felt exactly the same way but somewhere in his thinking and planning for his future he’d never seen meeting the man of his dreams before all that travelling had happened. He didn’t recognize what was right in front of his face in the relationship he had with Nolan -

His hand grips the base of my neck, holding my mouth a prisoner to his, but I’d happily belong to him if he kissed me like this every day. This is more than a kiss. This is an experience. This is a beginning.




They had chemistry, a happy domesticity and yet… When Seppe leaves for Italy, he lets it all crash and burn because he doesn’t want to take Nolan’s dreams of being a Michelin star chef of his own restaurant from him to have him follow along behind him. Worst. Mistake. EVER! Watching them come back from that to find each other? Absolutely beautiful!



Can I just say, I love the friendship between Trina and Nolan? Everyone needs a friend to help them pick up the pieces and move on with life when their hearts get broken - Trina does this for Nolan beautifully. Their banter constantly made me laugh and her advice was touching and on point for someone who knew what Nolan had been like in the aftermath of the breakup.

“Unless you want to try talking to him.”

“I’ve had four shots. Ain’t no talking happening tonight.”

“Then you could angry fuck him.” She giggles. “Then kick him out in the morning. That would be so hot.”

I laugh. “For who?”

“You while it’s happening, and me when you tell me about it.”




There were so many great moments in here for both of them with Trina - that she could be a friend to both men, see that this was the great love of her friend's life and know that Nolan needed to actually deal with the pain and heal from their separation in order to see what they could have together in future was beautiful. She was like their wise woman and their biggest fangirl!

Nolan and Seppe still have a smoldering spark between them and they learn through honest talks and trying to rebuild a friendship first that they were always meant to be. This is a fabulous second chance story for that reason. It's not ignored that Seppe caused him pain when he left - they deal with those ghosts several times throughout their tale and many authors seem to have their characters "get over it" way too quickly. It takes them time to build some trust back and there are moments that shake that trust between them but they work through them by communicating openly and honestly.

I'm so in love with this series, I think you need some of my…

Favourite Lines -

”He was married. I was pissed when I found out. That’s not my style, you know.”

“Husband not cutting it at home?”

“Wife doesn’t have a dick.”

“Ooh.” I scrunch my face. “Hate that shit.”

“You and me both.”




His words may say we’re just friends, but his kiss says we’re so much more.




“Want to come over? Or I’ll come over there.”

“Come to me. Took my bra off. Not putting it back on.”

I laugh. “On my way.”




When the music starts and the first performer comes out, I try to ignore the growing desire to take him home with me tonight. We’re just friends. Who’s brilliant fucking idea was that? Oh, that’s right. It was my dumb ass.




“God, Brooks. Me too. So much. If you ever give me the chance I will blow your mind. I will love you so hard. You deserve nothing less than my entire heart. It’s yours.”

His bottom lip quivers, but he pulls me close and kisses me again. Soft, sweet, sensual kisses. “You’ve owned me since the day we met,” he whispers. “I love it, and I hate it.”






Pull up a seat and wait with me for more from this author - and one click this baby today!!!! You need these two in you life, you don't know it yet - BUT YOU DO!!!!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment